Making time to build your own self-confidence and self-worth is one of the best investments you can make. Many have a habit of bringing themselves down and focusing on the negative. However, harnessing the power of positive thinking and making an effort to build your own self-confidence can serve your career, relationships, and more. Here are few activities to try If you are looking for some ways to increase your confidence or seek some simple self esteem exercises and activities.
4 Self Esteem Exercises to Try
Here are few activities to try If you are looking for some ways to increase your confidence or seek some simple self esteem exercises:
1. Write or Say Stem Sentences
Using guided self esteem exercises can be an easy way to get started in building your self-confidence. Stem sentences are simple exercises where you start with a prompt and finish the sentence with your own thoughts and feelings. These sentences can help you identify things you are proud of and put your thoughts into concrete affirmations. The Positive Psychology Program recommends using some of the following stem sentences to help increase your self-confidence:
- One thing I accomplished today was…
- Ten things I love are…
- I gain strength from…
- I feel happiest when…
- Three things that made me happy today are…
- Ten people I love or feel grateful for are…
- I believe that…
- I feel strongest when..
Outlining these thoughts and envisioning these affirmations can help you focus on the positive things in your life and fuel your self-confidence in the long run.
2. Celebrate Your Accomplishments
Humans have a habit of constantly comparing themselves to others. While a bit of healthy competition can help you thrive and grow, constantly putting you beneath others can take a toll on your mental health. Try celebrating your accomplishments to help you increase your self esteem. Some of the following are simple ways to focus your energy on great achievements in your life.
- Accept a compliment. When someone tells you that you have done a good job, say thank you rather than trying to be modest or denying the amazing work you have done.
- Write it down. Whether in a notebook, journal, or on social media, putting your successes into words can help them seem more real.
- Treat yourself to something you love. This may mean going out to a celebratory dinner with your friends or treating yourself to your favorite activity. Taking some time for things you really love is a concrete way to reward yourself for a job well done.
- Call your family. Your family members are often your biggest fans. Calling or emailing your mom, dad, or any other family member can be a simple way to celebrate your successes while creating deeper connections with your family members.
3. Make Continuing Education A Priority
Growing your knowledge base is a great self esteem exercise because it can help you feel confident in your abilities. Consider learning more about small things you love to do: try learning a new yoga pose, recipe, or go big with taking night classes to support your career or getting an additional degree. There is always more to learn, and taking some time to grow what you know is a concrete way to feel more confident in your abilities.
4. Use Positive Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements and one of many great self esteem exercises that can help you overcome bad habits and increase productivity. These statements should be concrete, achievable things that you would like to change or accomplish in your life. Some examples include:
- Today I will speak up in a meeting
- I bring a positive attitude to work every day
- I learn from my mistakes
- I make the best of every situation
Be sure to use present tense in your affirmations, by saying “I will” “I am” and “I bring” instead of saying “I hope to” or “I want to.” Framing these statements in present tense can help you believe that statement is true and make it a reality.
At Cody, we believe in celebrating your best self and taking steps to grow your self-confidence. To explore more self esteem exercises and inspiration, check out these three ways to practice self love.