Exploring yoga beyond your studio, hometown, or home country can be a great way to expand your knowledge and practice. Whether you are a frequent traveler or are planning your vacation of a lifetime, there are many incredible destinations near and far to hone your yoga practice. From the best yoga retreats to global places to practice yoga, here are four of the best yoga cities to put on your bucket list.
Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
If you are willing to take a few flights to get to your yoga retreat, Ubud, Bali in central Indonesia, may be the destination for you. Far from the crowded streets of Jakarta and the tourist-ridden shores of Kuta Beach, Ubud is a charming Indonesian town in the heart of Bali. Between the lush, Balinese forests, laid back culture, and deep roots in Hinduism and yoga, partaking in a retreat in Ubud is a once in a lifetime experience. Some popular yoga retreats in Ubud, Bali include:
- Naya Retreats, where you will practice yoga surrounding by Bali’s signature rice fields
- Blooming Lotus Retreats, offering yoga and meditation classes and retreats in Ubud’s jungle
- OneWorld Retreats, for a high end yoga retreat with additional opportunities to explore Bali available.
Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii
Hawaii has no shortage of yoga retreats, and it is hard to beat the winding roads, one-lane bridges, and small town charm of Hanalei on the north shore of Kauai. This small, coastal town is known for its charming aesthetic, calm waters, and picturesque mountains. Retreats in Hanalei are located both on sunny beaches and in lush forests:
- Hanalei Organic’s Yoga and Wellness Retreat, where you will not only get to practice yoga on a beautiful Kauai farm and also learn about farm to table sourcing and cooking
- Clear Light Yoga’s New Years Kauai Retreat, which offers yoga classes at some of Kauai’s most scenic outdoor locations
- Rejuvenating Hawaii Yoga Retreat, a family-centric yoga retreat where your family can explore both surfing and yoga together
Various Locations, India
No list of yoga destinations is complete without a few listings from the birthplace of yoga, India. India is home to some of the world’s best yoga cities, so choosing just one is difficult! Whether you seek a beach-side experience along India’s southern shores or a peaceful getaway in the mountains, India has some of the best yoga retreats to choose from:
- Ashiaya Retreats in Goa, India, for a wide variety of yoga classes along India’s beautiful Western shore
- Shreya’s Retreats, about an hour out of Bangalore. These retreats includes yoga classes for various levels and offers a wide variety of breathing and meditation classes
- Somatheeram Retreats, in Kerala, India, which incorporate ancient yoga theories into their modern retreats
Coastal Islands, Croatia
If clear seas and mediterranean sunshine are your calling, Croatia may be the European yoga escape you are looking for. There are over 1000 islands off the coast of Croatia, and some of the larger islands are home to beautiful beaches, picturesque towns, and of course, some of the best yoga retreats available. If you are looking for a seaside escape in Croatia to fuel your yoga inspiration, check out these yoga retreats on Croatia’s coastal islands:
- Suncokret Retreat, on Hvar Island that offers six days of yoga, meditation, and outdoor activities
- Yoga Sailing Retreat’s Cruising and Yoga Retreat Croatia, where you will explore various Croatian Islands and practice yoga throughout your trip
- Five Elements Yoga Retreat Croatia, which offers yoga, kayaking, biking, hiking, and other activities for those seeking a yoga retreat with a side of adventure.
Whether you are hoping to become a traveling yoga instructor, organizing a yoga retreat, or planning your dream vacation, there is no shortage of great places to practice yoga around the world. To get started on your journey, learn more about what to expect at a yoga retreat!