Here are two basic beginner kettlebell exercises. If you have never touched a kettlebell before, the kettlebell swing and the kettlebell high pull are simple enough to learn, and great for building muscle.
Beginner Kettlebell Exercises:
- Start with your feet placed wider than your shoulders, toes pointed slightly outwards, and your weight on your heels. Keep your chest up & back flat.
- Position the kettlebell on the floor, directly in the center between your feet
- Reach down and grab the kettlebell with both hands, bending at the hips and knees – not with your back
- Keeping your arms straight, swing the kettlebell through your legs, then up and overhead with your arms fully extended. Use a hip thrust to create momentum and drive for the upwards swing.
- Continue this movement, making sure to keep the back flat, as the kettlebell swing workouts the glutes and shoulders
- Begin in the same starting stance as you would for a kettlebell swing
- Deadlift the kettlebell off the ground into a hang position
- Bend your knees slightly, pushing your hips back, then in one movement, straighten up and pull the kettlebell up to your chin
- At the top of the high pull, the elbows should be pointed upwards, and are higher than your hands
- Let the weight of the kettlebell naturally bring it down to a hang, and repeat