“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
This week’s movie-inspired workout: The Lord of the Rings! I’ve been looking for an excuse to geek out, and going on a Lord of the Rings hike is a perfect way to stay active over the weekend. Bonus points if you listen to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack while you hike!
The Lord of the Rings Hike:
- Get 8-9 friends together for a weekend hike.
- Pick a hiking route that is about 10 miles round trip, goes up a mountainside, and has a scenic turnaround point. If you’re not sure where to hike, AllTrails is a great resource.
- Warm up– Before you start hiking, do the following with your backpack on:
- 20 squats
- 20 calf raises
- 25 jumping jacks
- Stretch (you can take your backpack off for this)
- Hike: Hike the first five miles up the mountainside at a brisk but steady pace.
- Rest: At the top of the trail, stop and have a snack (“But what about second breakfast?!”). Take an epic picture, destroy the one ring to rule them all, then pack up.
- Hike: Hike back down the trail to the starting location.
- Recover: Before getting in your car and driving back home, stop and stretch for 5 minutes.