Time: 15-20 minutes
This is a basic, fun swim workout that allows you to practice freestyle, backstroke, and the option breast stroke or butterfly if you wish. The entire workout totals to 800 yards, but the variety of strokes makes the workout enjoyable.
To give you an idea of a good speed to start at, aim for 2 minutes per 100 yards. Keep in mind that pool lengths vary, but in general, one lap is 25 yards.
Cody’s Basic Swim Workout:
- Warm up with 150 yards of light freestyle.
- Four sets of 50 yards, alternating between freestyle and backstroke for each lap. Rest for 30 seconds between each lap.
- Four sets of 25 yards freestyle, counting strokes per length.
- Four sets of 50 yards of your choice of strokes, resting 30 seconds between each lap.
- Cool down with 150 yards of light freestyle.
New to swimming for exercise? Here’s an introduction to swimming.