Time: 15-30 minutes
Losing weight can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. And for this workout, it literally is one! If you are a hill-avoider (or hill-walker) then it’s time to challenge yourself with a hill workout.
A First-Time Hill Workout:
- Warm-up: Stretch and jog for 5-10 minutes.
- Walk: Two minutes as you approach the designated hill.
- Hill 1: From the bottom of the hill, run up the incline for about ten seconds, then jog back to the bottom.
- Hill 2: Turn around and run back up the hill for fifteen seconds, then jog back to the bottom.
- Hill 3: Finally, run back up the hill for twenty seconds, then jog to the bottom.
- Cool-down: 5-10 minutes of walking and stretching.
A Challenging Hill Interval Workout:
Pick a large hill that takes you over one minute to walk up. This hill will be your frenemy for the rest of your workout.
- Warm up: 5-10 minutes of stretching and light jogging.
- Repeat the following sequence until you feel like collapsing. But please, don’t actually collapse.
- Hill 1: Starting at the bottom of the hill, sprint as hard as you can up the hill for 30 seconds. Stop and make note of how far up the hill you ran.
- Rest: Walk back down the hill, then stop and rest for 30 seconds.
- Hill 2: Sprint back up the hill again for another 30 seconds, trying to reach the same point on the hill that you did before.
- Rest: Walk back down the hill and have another 30 second-rest.
- Cool down: 5-10 minute walk
An end-note about hill workouts: Running long distances at a slow and steady pace is a great, medium-intensity way to burn calories. But if you often find yourself short on time, and have ended some your runs before you were ready due to time constraints, then, my tortoise, it’s time to pick up the pace and run like a hare. Hill workouts are a great way to get a short, intense, calorie-burning workout in a minimal amount of time. Running up a hill will work your glutes and quads much more so than a flat surface, so you can lose weight and get that shapely booty too. Try substituting one of these hill workouts in for your last jog of the week.