There’s the normal, strict pull up, and then there’s the dynamic butterfly pull up. Butterfly pull ups are like kipping pull ups, except you eliminate the back-swing and cut out half of the kip to go even faster. If you want to add more skill and speed to your pull ups (hint, hint, CrossFitters), then butterfly pull ups are for you.
Proper Butterfly Pull Up Form:
- Initiate a kip by swinging feet front and back, and follow swing motion through to hips and then shoulders
- The body should bow from global extension to global flexion
- At the apex of the “from” portion of the swing you will spot the bar, and do the fastest pull that will get your chin over the bar (or chest to the bar)
- Follow through by pulling yourself under the bar by maintaining global extension
- When arms reach full extension, the body should be fully extended as well; i.e. arms behind ears, hips forward and feet behind you
- If you hit the sweet spot the body should be fully loaded to initiate the next swing and pull up
Note: Make sure to maintain traction through full range of motion; your whole body should be working as a system and nothing is soft or relaxed.