Gym Workout For Glutes and Abs:
Getting toned abs and glutes is hard work, so it’s time to work hard with my intermediate gym workout, “toned and bootyful”. While this workout is a great way for women to get that hourglass shape, it’s definitely not gender-specific. Guys, this will bust that beer belly and spare tire as well!
Toned & Bootyful Gym Workout:
Do 3 sets of 10 reps for each of the following ab and glutes exercises.
- Weighted decline sit up twist: Think of it as a more intense Russian Twist, if you will. Hold a med ball, dumbbell, or some other compact weight to your chest as you perform your sit ups. In a fluid movement at the top of each sit up, twist your upper body to the left and right, and tap the weight on the bench behind you before reclining back to your beginning position.
- Weighted hanging leg raise: With your legs hanging from the captains chair, grip a weight (dumbbells work best) between your feet, and perform your hanging leg raises as usual.
- Planks with feet elevated: Prop your feet up on a bench or ledge (about 12-20″ high), and put your elbows & forearms on the ground. Hold this plank position for 1 minute each on the center, left, and right.
- Box jumps: Stand a comfortable distance away from a box or ledge (6-20″ high, depending on your experience), drop into a half-squat, then extend your hips and swing your arms while you propel yourself up and onto the box. Try to land quietly (yes, it is possible), then return to floor by landing in a full squat and straightening up.
- Elevated leg split squats: Starting in a lunge position, bring your back leg up and rest your toes on a bench (6-12″ high) behind you. Do squats on your standing leg, then switch sides.
- Hip extensions: Begin on your hands and knees, with a compact weight (dumbbell, med ball, etc.) wedged in the crease of the back of one knee. Keeping the leg bent at a 90-degree angle as to hold the weight, raise the leg so that your thigh is parallel with the ground, and pulse up and down to complete a rep, then switch legs and repeat.