Whole Body Free Weight Exercises: If you find yourself short on gym time, or if you simply dislike working out and want to get it over with as quickly as possible, then this whole body free weight workout is for you.
Squats, hanging leg raises, and pull ups: These three free weights exercises work multiple of the largest muscle groups with each rep, so that you are getting pretty darn close to a full body workout in only three easy moves.
Whole Body Free Weight Workout:
Do 3 sets of 10 reps at your max weight for a full workout.
- Squats (Quadriceps + Hamstrings + Gluteals): Squats can be performed with a barbell across your shoulders, or simply with your own body weight. Stand with your feet pointed forward, about shoulder-width apart, and your back straight. Bend your knees until they are at a 90 degree angle, and your thighs are parallel to the floor, then straighten back up. Keep your weight on your heels- at no point should your knees be further forward than your toes.
- Hanging leg raise (Abs+ Lats+ Obliques): These are done on the Captain’s Chair at the gym. In the hanging position, raise and lower your legs out in front of you. There are a variety of leg raises that can be done on the Captain’s Chair, such as leg raises with straight knees, knee-to-chest leg raises, and side twist knee-to-chest leg raises.
- Pull ups: (Lats + Biceps + Deltoids + Trapezius): Hang from a chin-up bar, or assisted pull-up machine, and use your arm strength to pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar.
Additional Free Weights Workouts & Training Plans:
- Beginner Strength Training Program: Train five lifts for big strength gains – Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Military Press, Barbell Row
- Transform Your Body!: A 4-week program designed for women.
- Booty Blast: A training plan for your @$$
- A Guide to the Weightlifting Room
- Cody’s Ultimate Guide to Squats