Sometimes before a workout I will find myself staring rather glumly at the innards of my fridge, repeating the words “what to eat…what to eat…” over and over again in my head. However, nobody should ever do an intense workout on an empty stomach, so I put together this short list of the best pre-workout foods. And they’re tasty to boot!
Whether your goal is to build muscle, lose weight, get toned, or focus and destress, what you eat will directly impact each workout. Ideally, each pre-workout meal should include simple carbs like oatmeal, veggies, and the like for instant energy, and protein to assist in muscle development.
Stock up on these five awesome pre-workout foods to give your body the healthy boost it deserves.
Cody’s Favorite Pre-Workout Foods:
- Trail mix: This is a great option for those who are looking to gain lean muscle, but people who want to lose weight might want to steer clear of trail mix. Nuts pack a healthy punch of protein, calories, fats & oils, while dried fruit provides lasting energy if endurance is your goal. Eat 1-2 hours before your workout.
- Iced coffee protein shake: Mix 1 scoop of chocolate-flavored protein powder with a large iced coffee. Consuming caffeine before your workout has been proven to help an athlete go (in a nutshell) harder, better, faster, stronger. Drink this immediately before (or even during) your workout.
- Greek yogurt and berries: Compared to “traditional” yogurt, Greek yogurt has almost double the protein, and fewer carbs, sodium, and sugar. Mix berries with your Greek yogurt and eat 30-60 minutes before your workout for a sweet & simple snack.
- Omelet: Perfect for all you morning-workout folks, a veggie omelet (avoid heavy, greasy breakfast-meats) will fulfill your protein & fiber needs for the morning. Eat 1-2 hours before your workout.
- Almond butter: This great nut butter is chock full of protein, Vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, and phosphorous. Use as a dip for vegetable sticks for instant energy, or spread on whole grain bread for endurance. Eat 1-2 hours before your workout.
Also check out this list of the Best Post-Workout Foods.