Ahh, the gym. A wonderful place that allows you to pick and choose from a variety of fitness activities on a whim. If you are a new gym member, or are considering joining a gym, here is a quick overview of what you can expect. You may also like this Guide to Choosing the Right Gym for you.
Introduction to the Gym:
If you like variety among your workouts, then the gym is the place for you. Different gyms will have different features, however, most will include the following sections:
Cardio machines: These will help you improve your cardiovascular fitness through sustained, low-intensity aerobic exercise.
- Common cardio machines include: Ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers, and rowing machines
- HIIT Workouts are some of the most effective cardio workouts for losing weight
- Ladder Workouts are great for building endurance & stamina
- A 15-minute Beginner Treadmill Running Workout
Weight machines: These are great for helping beginners build muscle when starting at ground zero.
- A Beginner Gym Workout with Focus on Arms
- A Beginner Gym Workout with Focus on Legs
- A Beginner Gym Workout with Focus on Core
Free weights: A step-up in difficulty from weight machines, free weights are used in strength training.
- Here’s a complete Guide to the Weightlifting Room -it includes pictures and explanations of common free weight equipment.
- Not sure whether weight machines or free weights are right for you? Check out this article comparing free weights versus weight machines.
- Top Three Most Efficient Free Weights Exercises for Beginners
Aerobics classes and studio: A fun, instructor-led way to burn calories, increase flexibility, and tone muscles.
- Common aerobics classes include: Pilates, Yoga, Step, Kickboxing, Boot Camp, Zumba, and Cycling
- Spin Class 101: What to Expect
Courts: Great for ex-athletes and recreational players to get exercise by practicing their game.
- Common courts at gyms: Basketball, racketball, tennis, and volleyball
Swimming pool: For those who need a form of low-impact cardio, or if you just like to swim.
Hot tub and sauna: The perfect remedy for sore muscles after you work out. Allowing your muscles to relax and recover in a hot tub or sauna actually helps you lose weight, eliminate toxins, and burn fat deposits.