Getting proper nutrition after you hit the gym is vital for your muscles to completely recover.
During a workout, your muscles will “tear” from the strain of lifting weights. Afterwards, your body needs to both replenish energy and mend the tears of your muscle tissue, which is what causes your muscles to grow bigger and stronger. However, skipping the refuling process will adversely affect your post-workout body, and after a while you may find that even though you are working out, you are not getting any stronger. This is where proper post-workout nutrition comes into play.
Cody’s Fave Five Post-Workout Foods
- Chocolate milk: It’s high water content will re-hydrate you, plus it packs in the protein, carbs, calcium, and a bit of sugar to replenish your energy in a healthy way.
- Fruit smoothie: Obviously very nutritious, a fruit smoothie will quickly re-energize you, and is also great for adding whey protein to.
- Egg whites and spinach: Eggs are the kings of protein, which is perfect for helping your tired muscles recover after working out. Cook egg whites with spinach to get a powerful dose of protein and iron.
- Peanut butter and bananas: There are endless ways to combine these two delicious post-workout foods. Whether it be in a sandwich, smoothie, or granola, the healthy fats and protein from peanuts, plus the sugar and potassium from the banana, makes this a hearty post-workout snack.
- Hummus and whole-grain pita: The protein and carbs from hummus, plus the fiber from whole-grain pita , makes this vegetarian snack a great choice for post-workout munchies as well.