Foods to help you relax: Stress-eating is a common problem for many people, and it is not uncommon for people to turn to food when they want to relax after a long, hard, possibly frustrating day. But for health conscious folk like us, there are some really delicious, healthy foods out there that will actually help you feel more relaxed!
These relaxing foods are high in tryptophan, an amino acid that stimulates serotonin production in the brain. This relaxing amino acid will calm you down, and even work as a natural sleep aid. Foods that help boost serotonin and melatonin production can also help with depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder. So stop stressing! You can soothe your nerves and your grumbling stomach at the same time.
And don’t worry, I’m not going to mention “carrot sticks” anywhere in this post. Carrot sticks are not very relaxing.
Five Foods to Help you Relax:
- Nuts and Seeds: Rich in magnesium, selenium, zinc, vitamin E, and vitamin B-complex, nuts are the superman of superfoods. Try peanut butter, Brazil nuts, almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or walnuts.
- Honey: Along with tryptophan, the potassium in honey also has a calming effect on the brain and nerves. Add it to your cereal, milk, tea, or sandwich.
- Dark Chocolate: This helps manufacture serotonin, endorphins, and dopamine to lower the level of stress hormones in your body. Pick a dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa and a lower sugar content.
- Cheese: High in protein, cheese calms your brain in the same way that a glass of milk does. The best types for the purpose of relaxing are Cottage, Cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, and Ricotta.
- Soup: The ultimate comfort food, soup is a wonderfully low-calorie way that helps your body oust infections and relax. Thin (consistency), hot, broth-based soups are best.