Inversion Yoga for Handstands week 5: You’re almost there! This week you will practice kicking up to the handstand using a wall.
You should already be familiar with holding a handstand with little or no wall assistance, as well as tuck-ups. If you missed the earlier progressions, go back and review week 1, week 2, week 3, and week 4.
Inversion Yoga: Kick Up To Handstand (With Wall)
We’ve finally progressed to kicking up into a handstand! This week we are going to use a wall for assistance.
- Begin by facing away, standing about 5-6 feet away from it (the taller you are, the further away you should stand).
- Take a BIG step forward (almost like a lunge), and lean forward to plant your hands on the ground
- Let your back foot rise off the ground, and push off with your front foot
- Engage your core and use that Hollow Body position to bring both feet up & together
- The first few times your feet will most likely hit the wall (or won’t make it up to the wall at all)
- Continue practicing the kick-ups until you can successfully come into a handstand without knocking your heels against the wall
To receive an email notification when the next weekly handstand progression is released, click here.