While some people may think that manners & etiquette are a thing of the past, team Cody begs to differ, especially when it comes to the gym. The gym is a shared space, and shared spaces require rules & polite behavior. There is nothing worse than a rude gym-goer, so here is a simple list of rules for proper gym etiquette anyone & everyone should follow.
10 Simple Rules of Gym Etiquette
- Always re-rack your weights. Especially if they are big, 45lb. plates. Leaving 10lbs on a bar is a mild inconvenience for the next person, but leaving 45lbs for the next person to put away is just rude to the 10th degree.
- If you sweat on the equipment, wipe it off. No, not with your hand. With a towel.
- Don’t stare at other people. If someone catches you staring, at least flash a smile and give a thumbs up. Better to be a friendly creeper than a creepy creeper.
- Don’t lounge around on the equipment while waiting for your friend to finish his/her reps. If you’re going to lounge in the gym, then you deserve to stand and look awkward.
- If you know someone else is waiting to use the equipment you are currently using, don’t dilly dally around and chat with your friend for 20 minutes while finishing your “turn”. If someone is waiting, be polite and finish your sets quickly.
- Don’t block pathways. Gyms are crowded, yes, at sometimes it’s hard to find a spot. But you can find a space that’s not a doorway, a stairwell, or a narrow pathway to do your exercises.
- Don’t talk on your cellphone on the gym floor. There will be many other opportunities for you to talk & text, I promise.
- Do everyone a favor and report broken equipment to the staff. Yes, even if you are the one that broke it. Don’t just leave it for the next poor shmuck to realize it’s broken.
- Don’t hit on people at the gym. You should use your own judgement, of course, but as a general rule, people are at the gym to work out, not to meet people. If you’ve been making eyes at someone & interest is returned, by all means go ahead. But don’t holler “hey baby, lookin’ good!” at some chick who’s just trying to mind her own business.
- If you’re sick, stay at home and do an at-home workout. Don’t infect everyone else.
Bonus rule: For the love of god, don’t curl in the squat rack.