Free Weights for Beginners: Not a huge fan of the gym, especially the free weights section? Strength training with free weights is an essential part of losing weight and shaping your muscles, so it’s important to engage in free weights at least once a week. The following whole-body free weights for beginners workout will tone your muscles from head to toe in under an hour.
Free Weights for Beginners Workout:
Warm up: 10 minutes cardio of your choice (running, walking, rowing, etc.)
Do the following in reps of 15-12-9.
- Lunge Bicep Curls: Hold a dumbbell in each hand at your sides, and step forward into a lunge. While lunging, curl the dumbbells up to your torso.
- Deadlift High Pulls: Bend your knees and hinge your torso forward at the hips to grip the barbell without curving your back. Straighten your legs and pull the barbell in to your chest.
- Hanging Leg Raises: Hang from a bar and keep your legs straight as you raise them until your legs are parallel with the floor.
- Push Up Planks: Between each set of push ups, drop your elbows and hold a 30-second elbow plank (no rests in-between push ups and planks).
- Weighted Glute Bridge Thrusts: Lay on your back with your knees bent and place a plate over your abdomen. Push your hips upwards, lower, and repeat.