Free Weights for Abs Workout: Here is a list of great free weight ab exercises that anyone can easily do at the gym, or at home. These free weight ab exercises can all be scaled to your fitness level.
An important note about getting those elusive “washboard” abs: You can do all of these ab exercises from sunrise to sunset, but if you neglect your cardio and a healthy diet, your abs will never make an appearance. Why? Most people have strong core muscles… underneath a layer of abdominal fat. While developing abdominal muscles are (obviously) essential for abs, they will not become defined until you get rid of the extra pudge, so remember to eat right and do cardio.
Free Weights for Abs:
- Weighted Leg Raises: In a laying position, grip a dumbbell between your feet and perform leg raises as usual.
- Hanging Leg Raises: Hang from a bar and keep your legs straight as you raise them until your legs are parallel with the floor, lower them, and repeat. For added difficulty, grip a weight between your feet.
- Russian Twist: Hold a medicine ball or plate in both hands and sit balancing on your sit-bones (feet off the ground). Twist to the left & right, tapping the ground behind you with the weight for each rep.
- V-Ups: Lay flat on the ground with your arms extended overhead and your legs straight. In one movement bring your hands and feet up to meet in the middle, above your sit-bones.
- Weighted Planks: Place a plate on your back as you do elbow planks. Instead of reps, do 4 sets of 30 seconds.
- Weighted Superman: Lay stomach-down on the mat with your arms and legs fully extended. Grip a weight in your hands and raise your arms and legs up & off the ground, so your back creates an inverse curve.
- Side plank leg lift: Balance in a strong side plank position, then lift & lower your “top” leg.
- Weighted Glute Bridge Thrusts: Lay on your back with your knees bent and place a plate over your abdomen. Push your hips upwards, lower, and repeat