Basic free weight workout: This basic workout for the gym will have you sweating those extra pounds off like there’s no tomorrow. Suited for those with a beginner to intermediate level of fitness, this free weight workout uses whole-body exercises to give you a full muscle workout.
Basic Free Weight Workout:
Do each of the following exercises in sets of 15-12-9 reps (the first set has 15 reps, the second set has 12, the last set is only 9 reps).
- Pile Squats with Lateral Raise: Hold a dumbbell in each hand and take a very wide stance. As you squat, raise your arms out to the sides at shoulder level.
- Weighted Planks: Place a plate on your back as you do elbow planks. Instead of reps, do 3 sets of 30 seconds.
- Bicep Curl Lunges: With a dumbbell in each hand, curl the weights in as you lunge.
- Straight-Legged Triceps Dip: Rest your feet on a bench as you do your triceps dips. For added intensity, place a plate on your lap.
- Inverted Row: Grip a low bar and walk your feet out until your body makes a 45 degree angle. Pull your chest into the bar, lower, and repeat.