Ladies, this one is for you! I don’t care if you are skinny-fat, fat-fat, or any other ridiculous combination of skinny & fat, because none of these things are “fit”.
Stop spending hours on the treadmill, running yourself into the ground, and nibbling on almonds after a five-mile run. That is not how you get thin & fit. Infinite hours of cardio will not reward you with a flat stomach, a gap between your thighs, or make you any less jiggly.
In fact, I hope that you are horrified to find out that “too much cardio can impair the production of the thyroid hormone T3”. Why is T3 important? It is the main regulator of your metabolism. If your T3 production is impaired, that is called Hypothyroidism. That term may sound familiar to you, because Hypothyroidism is the dreaded hormone imbalance that causes your metabolism to slow to a crawl, and causes your body to “accumulate fat with ease, almost regardless of physical activity level.” You can check out the full science behind this here.
But in a nutshell: Lots O’ Cardio + Insufficient Calories = Fat.
This, I know, will probably make many women angry. That is because women have been told for years that they can get skinny & fit by doing a lot of cardio and starving themselves, which is simply not true.
To get toned and fit, do this:
- Alternate between cardio days and strength days
- On cardio days, do intervals.
- On strength days, pick weights that allow you to only do 8-12 reps per set. Less than 8 reps and your weight is too heavy, more than 12 reps and your weight is too light. And I don’t want to see you anywhere near the pastel-colored 3 lb. dumbbells, so don’t even think about it.
- Most importantly: EAT. Fuel your body so it has the energy to work hard, build muscle, and burn fat. I guarantee you that if you continue to deprive yourself of calories, you are also depriving yourself of your full potential, both physically and mentally. Please, eat more. Seriously.
Interval workouts for your cardio days:
- A One-Song Interval Workout for Beginners
- An Intermediate Swimming Interval Workout
- A Beginner Treadmill Interval Workout
- A Football Field Interval Running Workout
- A High Intensity Interval Training Treadmill Run
- An Advanced Ladder Interval Cycling Workout
Strength workouts for your strength days:
- A Basic Free Weights Workout for Beginners
- Top 3 Most Efficient Exercises for Beginners
- Floor Exercises to do at the Gym
- An Intermediate Free Weights Workout