The freestanding Handstand Push Up is the most challenging push up variation. The handstand push up takes the classic exercise and makes it completely vertical with the least points of contact. This movement requires great dynamic strength in your shoulders and great static strength in your hollow-body. To finish properly will require you to have a solid handstand, so balance and skill is required in addition to strength.
How To Do a Handstand Push Up:
Proper Handstand Push Up Form:
- Hands shoulder width apart
- Fingers spread and index fingers pointed straight forward
- Descend by sending shoulders (and head) forward while keeping lower arm vertical
- Make sure your head and hands at the bottom of the push up form a triangle shape on the ground
- Push back up to handstand while maintaining hollow body position during the entire movement