Time: 40 minutes
Hiking is one of the best exercises to help you focus and destress. You get to walk at a relatively leisurely pace, enjoy the smell of nature, look at pretty things, and even stop to snack at scenic spots! Here is a basic hiking workout for you to try out, if you are a hiking novice.
A Hiking Workout for Beginners:
- Distance: Pick a hiking route that is 1-2 miles long, round-trip. There is nothing worse than hiking for an hour,reaching the end of your 2 miles, and then realizing that now you have to turn around and hike all the way back. Whoops.
- Warm up: Do 5-10 minutes of leg stretches to get nice and limber before your hike.
- Pace: Keep it leisurely. Hike at a pace that allows you to be in-tune with the nature around you. Part of hiking is enjoying your peaceful surroundings, without feeling like you’re going to fall over and die from exhaustion at any minute.
- Incline: Pick a route that is relatively flat with a few moderate inclines, with the goal of eventually working up to an uphill trail. Assess your fitness level realistically.
- Company: As a beginner, always hike with a buddy. You might get lost, injured, exhausted, or all of the above. And no, SIRI is not an adequate hiking buddy.
New to hiking? Get informed with this guide to hiking for beginners.
Feeling sore after your first few hikes? Stretch and relax those aching muscles with some easy yoga.