Time: 30 minutes
One of the greatest joys of hiking is the king-of-the-mountain feeling as you effortlessly leap from boulder to boulder, fearlessly tread treacherous trails, and maybe even scale a steep incline with vines as your ropes. Losing balance and falling as you hike, or doubting your ability to complete a challenging trail is no fun, so strengthen up with these exercises to help improve your hike.
Exercises to Improve your Hike:
- Stairs: Prepares you for steep inclines and endless hills.
- 15 minutes of stair climbing is equal to about 30 minutes of hiking uphill. You should practice stairs until you can do a strong, brisk 15 minutes without feeling too winded afterward.
- Box jumps: Prepares you for ledges, rocks, and trail holes.
- Do 3 sets of 10 box jumps.
- One legged squat and reach: Prepares you for balancing and reaching on uneven surfaces.
- Do 2 sets of 10 squat and reaches on each leg.
- Pull ups: Prepares you for the possibility of scaling and climbing.
- Do 5 pull ups
Feeling strong and ready for a challenging hike? Try out the Extreme Day Hike Challenge.