Time: 40 minutes
Ladder workouts are one of the most simple but effective workouts for athletes looking to build endurance. They gradually build up in difficulty, but allow ample time for rest so you have no excuse for not finishing the entire workout. Here is a 40 minute cycling ladder workout, which can easily be modified to suit your fitness level.
Cody’s Advanced Ladder Cycling Workout:
- 10 minutes warm up, easy spinning
- 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy
- 2 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy
- 3 minutes hard, 3 minutes easy
- 4 minutes hard, 4 minutes easy
- 10 minutes cool down, easy spinning
What are the benefits of ladder drills? Much like intervals, ladder drills help you increase your speed, cardiovascular fitness, burn fat, and raise your metabolic rate after your workout. Mentally, ladder workouts can help cyclists overcome fatigue by breaking up long distances they would normally be unable to accomplish, thus, improving stamina as well.