Time: 40 minutes
Kick up the intensity of your cycling with this reverse ladder workout. This workout is structured so that you pedal at your absolute hardest for every work set, by placing the longest work set in the beginning, while your muscles are still fresh. Then the duration of each work set gradually decreases as the workout progresses and you become increasingly exhausted.
Cody’s Advanced Reverse Ladder Cycling Workout:
- 10 minute warm up, easy spinning
- 2 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy
- 1:45 minutes hard, 1:45 minutes easy
- 1:30 minutes hard, 1:30 minutes easy
- 1:15 minutes hard, 1:15 minutes easy
- 1:00 minute hard, 1:00 minute easy
- 45 seconds hard, 45 seconds easy
- 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy
- 10 minutes cool down, easy spinning
What are the benefits of ladder drills? Much like intervals, ladder drills help you increase your speed, cardiovascular fitness, burn fat, and raise your metabolic rate after your workout. Mentally, ladder workouts can help cyclists overcome fatigue by breaking up long distances they would normally be unable to accomplish, thus, improving stamina as well.