I had a nice conversation with Katniss a while back, and she gave me these words of inspiration to pass on to you guys: “Get fit or die.”
Typical Katniss, she’s quite the ray of sunshine, wouldn’t you agree? But she makes a good point. Fitness is a life or death matter, and whether you are fighting other bloodthirsty children, or a high body fat percentage, doing this Hunger Games Workout will help.
Just remember when you’re doing this Hunger Games workout… May the odds be ever in your favor.
The Hunger Games Workout:
Repeat the following Hunger Games circuit 3 times.
- 5 Jumping pull ups: Essential for escaping mutant wolves.
- Pick a pull up bar that you can reach with your feet still on the ground. Grasp the bar, jump up, and engage your arms halfway up the jump (when your elbows are at 90 degrees) to pull yourself up the rest of the way. After hitting the top of each jumping pull up, slowly lower yourself back down. The hard part of this exercise is on the way down, not up.
- 10 One-armed standing cable row: Builds arm strength needed for archery.
- Stand with your feet planted shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, and a straight back. Grip the handle with one hand and pull the cable towards you until the handle makes contact with your torso. Return the cable to its starting point in a controlled motion, until your arm is fully extended back out. Do 10 on each arm.
- 15 Hanging knees-to-chest leg raises: Essential for when mutant wolves are nipping at your heels.
- Starting from a dead hang (hanging by your arms, feet completely off the ground) bring your knees up to your chest, then lower them back down.
- 20 Box jumps: Never underestimate the importance of developing mad hops.
- Stand in front of an approximately 20-inch high box (this could be a ledge, bench, or the like). Jump up and onto the box, ideally landing on your toes only, then push backwards off the box and land as quick as you can. There should be minimal “lag time” between each box jump.
- Intervals: For when great balls of fire are catapulting towards you.
- Alternate between 30 seconds of sprinting, and 30 seconds of jogging, 3 times.