Walking for fitness tips: Summer is drawing near and your usual excuses of “but it’s cold/rainy/snowy/flooding outside!” are about to bite the dust. Is this going to be another summer of promising yourself that today is the day you’ll go be active? (I almost went on a walk every day this week! That counts for something, right?)
Here are some tips for how you can easily start walking for fitness… TODAY!
But first… some motivation. Walking for fitness will do all of the following:
- Lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol)
- Raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol)
- Lower your blood pressure
- Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes
- Improve your mood & decrease anxiety
Motivated? Here are some easy ways to incorporate walking into your daily life:
- Take the stairs
- Park really far away from entrances
- Walk to work
- Walk to the store
- Take a walk after dinner with your hubby
- Walk your dog (or cat!) for as long as his/her adorable little heart desires
- Always walk a longer, more indirect route
- Use your walking time to listen to new audio books & music, practice your photography, get tan, help old ladies cross the street, or whatever else strikes your fancy.
The main takeaway: Humans were built to walk, and yet, very few of us do it enough. Whether you’re just taking a leisurely stroll around the park, or waking up early to walk to work, all of it will positively contribute to your health, and never should be underestimated.