Time: 45 minutes
Regina: Ma’am, do you have this in the next size up?
Saleslady: Sorry, we only carry sizes 1, 3, and 5. You could try Sears.
This week’s movie-inspired workout pick: Mean Girls! This intermediate-level gym workout will get you in Queen (or King) Bee shape. Just stay away from the Kalteen Bars.
Cody’s Mean Girls Gym Workout:
- Warm-up: 15 minutes of high intensity dodgeball.
- 3 sets of 12 of the following exercises:
- The “Regina”, Barbell straight-legged deadlift: Without bending your knees, raise and lower a barbell by hinging forward at the hips and waist. Make sure to keep your back straight and shoulders pinched back, so that your core muscles are doing all of the work.
- The “Cady”, Hip abduction & adduction: Hip abductions works your outer thighs, while hips adductions works your inner thighs. While many people lament over the “uslessness” of the hip abductor & adductor machines at the gym, these muscles are crucial for knee strength and stability.
- The “Gretchen”, Hip extensions: On all fours, bend one leg and raise it behind you. Pulse it up and down for one rep. For added difficulty, place a weight in the crook of your knee. This will maximus your gluteus.
- The “Karen”, Explosive push-ups: A more challenging version of the push-up. On the upward movement of each push-up, use explosive force to get your hands off the ground, clap, and land on your hands again for the next rep.