Exercise More: In a perfect world, we would all have ample time every day to exercise to our hearts desire. However, it’s not a perfect world. It is a busy, hectic, traffic-jammed, work-obsessed world, so sometimes we need to get creative with how we get our exercise. Here is a list I put together of 10 easy ways you can get more exercise into your daily routine.
Getting More Exercise: 10 Tips
- Take the stairs: This one is such a classic, yet most people still avoid the stairs! Even if you work on the 50th floor of an office building, just get off the elevator 5 floors early, and walk up the remaining 5 flights of stairs.
- Take your dog for a jog instead of a walk.
- Keep hand weights next to your couch or recliner- and actually use them when you’re watching TV.
- Commercial break exercises: For every commercial break that comes on, fill the 2 minutes with jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, you-name-it.
- Resolve issues by arm-wrestling: Squabbling over who gets to choose the movie? Don’t want to take out the trash? Who gets the last piece of pizza? Arm wrestle for it.
- Treat yourself: Next time you want to go get a treat, walk or run instead of driving. Then you won’t even have to feel guilty about indulging.
- Do leg extensions in your office chair.
- Flex your abs, or just “suck in” your tummy throughout the day. It actually does work your abs!
- Use your strength for good: Jump at the chance to perform random acts of kindness that involve physical effort. Open doors, help old ladies carry groceries, climb a tree to save a cat, run after someone if they drop a belonging… all that good stuff.
- Park far away from entrances, and relish the extra walk. Raining outside? Then you should park further away and run!