Working out can be more of a struggle on some days more than others, and it turns out there’s a reason behind this. Certain things you do throughout the day before and during your workout can directly impact your energy levels and success of your exercise routine. Try out the follow suggestions to see if you feel more energized, amped, and workout-ready next time you hit the gym.
Simple Tips to Improve Each Workout
- Eat slow-digesting carbs beforehand: Eating whole grains during the day before you work out, such as oatmeal for breakfast, and whole wheat bread for lunch, will help you burn more fat during the day. It will help you increase your endurance and burn more fat during your actual workout as well. And really, you should be steering clear of empty-carbed white bread anyway.
- Take 200-400 mg caffeine 1-2 hours before you workout: Taking caffeine supplements (NOT a sugar-infused Venti Frappacino) before you workout has been shown though research to increase how much fat is burned. Plus, it increases endurance and blunts muscle pain so you can go harder, better, faster, and stronger.
- Focus on your muscles: Staying mentally focused on the muscle or body part you are exercising has been shown to increase the activity and efficiency of the workout, leading to more calories burned and more strength developed. So refrain from watching the news at the gym, and instead keep your mind on your muscles.
- Listen to music: Listening to upbeat music while you exercise will keep your energy level up, increase endurance, and make your workout much more enjoyable. Make your own gym playlist, or check out my Cardio Playlist for your next workout session.
- Do cardio with cold hands: Studies have shown that women who hold their cold water bottles in their hands run for longer periods of time. This is because the cold sensation against the many nerves found in each hand reduces the sensation of overheating, allowing you to run at a higher intensity for a longer amount of time.