So what is this trendy yoga thing everybody is so crazy about? Here’s a quick overview of the many mental and physical health benefits of yoga.
Yoga originated around 5,000 years ago in India, and is a form of exercise that unites the mind, body, and spirit. The combination of stretching, muscle-toning, controlled breathing, and meditation will help you feel more energized and focused throughout the day, even in stressful situations.
The best thing about yoga is that anybody, of any age and any fitness level, can do yoga and feel its benefits. And no, you don’t need to rush out and buy overpriced yoga pants to find your inner peace.
Yoga’s physical health benefits:
- Improves flexibility, strength, muscle form, and toning
- Reduces pain in joints, back, arthritis, migraines, and muscle soreness
- Stabilizes breathing and improves lung capacity
- Improves blood circulation which detoxifies your body
- Reduces blood pressure
- Regulates metabolism and improves digestion
- Balances the hormonal system
Yoga’s mental health benefits:
- Improves concentration, focus, and mental clarity
- Reduces stress, depression, and anxiety through increased endorphin secretion
- Mood stabilization
- Improves sleep and reduces sleep disturbance
- Increases feelings of well-being and self-image